"I cannot make speeches, Emma," he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing. "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am."
Austenuity is an icon contest/challenge community for all things Jane Austen. This includes the books and the subsequent adaptations (period or modern-day), and also any media whose subject matter is Jane Austen herself.
We are an open icontest community--there is no application requirements, just a love of Austen and a desire to participate.
- CONTEST MECHANICS -
Challenges are run every two weeks (roughly twice a month), and participants submit any number of icons from 1-5.
There will always be two prompts/themes for each round: a topical theme and a technical theme. Participants are free to use either one for their icon(s), or both within an icon if they wish; they may also choose just one option for their whole set, or any combination of either option or merged options for their set.
Icons should be made by you and for the round in question.
Icons will be submitted as a new entry for each round, with the title "Round ###", and tagged with "!entries, ~round ###, fandom(s)". For example: "Round 1: A truth universally acknowledged", "!entries, ~round 001, pride and prejudice, clueless".
If submitting more than three icons, you can have up to three icons outside an LJ-cut. The rest should go under a cut, as well as any NSFW icons. If you have icons of a spoilery nature for non-period adaptations of the books that is currently running, please place them inside the cut as well.
[What makes something spoilery?]Spoilery icons: an icon from the Lizzie Bennet Diaries episode that aired just the previous night; ending/critical scenes from an Austen movie that is less than a month old; a scene from the last episode of a mini-series of a modern-day book adaptation that only finished airing the previous week. Non-spoilery icons: an icon from the last scene of a period adaptation that was released last week; an icon from The Lizzie Bennet Diaries that aired over a month ago. Basically: icons from straightforward adaptations of the books are generally not spoilery, but use your common sense :)
Icons are voted on individually and possibly as a set. A maker submission will qualify for the set voting if they have submitted three or more icons.
Voting will be skipped for a round if there are less than three makers participating, and if there are less than six icons overall. Set voting will be skipped if there are less than three makers who created sets.
Individual icon voting will be, at minimum, two placements and a special category, which will be announced during the challenge and inspiration post. Once there are eight icons to vote for, a third place spot will open up.
There will only be one placement for set voting.
Anyone may vote, as long as they have a Livejournal account. Voting is screened. Vote placements are not weighted except when breaking ties.
- ALLOWED SUBJECTS -
The following is a possibly-not-definitive-list of the different TV shows/movies/etc that is allowed. If you know of anything that you think should be allowed in this comm, do let me know!
• Movie: Becoming Jane (2007, Hathaway/McAvoy)
• Movie: The Jane Austen Book Club (2007)
• Movie: Miss Austen Regrets (2007)
• Movie: Pride & Prejudice (1995, Garson/Olivier)
• TV: Pride & Prejudice (1995, Ehle/Firth)
• Movie: Bridget Jones's Diary (2001, Zellweger/Firth)
• Movie: Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason (2004, Zellweger/Firth)
• Movie: Bride & Prejudice (2004, Henderson/Rai)
• Movie: Pride & Prejudice (2005, Knightley/Macfadyen)
• TV: Lost in Austen (2008, Rooper/Arterton/Cowan)
• Web: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (2012-2013, Clements/Gordh)
• Web: Welcome to Sanditon (2013-??, Paige)
• Movie: Clueless (1995, Silverstone/Rudd)
• Movie: Emma (1996, Paltrow/Northam)
• TV: Emma (1996, Beckinsale/Strong)
• TV: Emma (2009, Garai/Miller)
• TV: Sense and Sensibility (1971, David/Madden)
• TV: Sense and Sensibility (1981, Richard/Childs)
• Movie: Sense and Sensibility (1995, Thompson/Winslet)
• TV: Sense and Sensibility (2008, Morahan/Wakefield)
• Movie: From Prada to Nada (2011, Belle/Vega)
• TV: Mansfield Park (1983, Le Touzel/Farrell)
• Movie: Mansfield Park (1999, O'Connor/Miller)
• TV: Mansfield Park (2007, Piper/Ritson)
• Movie: Persuasion (1995, Root/Hinds)
• TV: Persuasion (2007, Hawkins/Penry-Jones)
• TV: Northanger Abbey (2007, Jones/Feild)
- RESOURCES -
I'm still collecting resources for screencaps for now, feel free to suggest :)